Ethnic rhinoplasty is a unique procedure, but with a common goal of improving the shape and structure of the nose while maintaining the ethnic features of the patient. Specifically, ethnic rhinoplasty for Asian patients is gaining popularity as it can help to balance out facial features. If you are of Asian descent in the Houston area and are interested in nose surgery, there are many factors to consider before undergoing surgery.
What are the differences in an Asian nose?
Patients of Asian descent have a very different nose than those of Western descent. Typically, the features include:
• A low nasal bridge, making the nose appear shorter
• A more round, wider nasal tip with less projection, leading to a flatter-looking nose
• Wider or rounder face, which can accentuate a wider or shorter nose, or create a more flattened facial profile
When performing rhinoplasty on Asian patients, it’s crucial to balance the nose in ratio to the face to obtain the desirable results. Nose surgery for Asian patients involves restructuring the bridge of the nose, while raising and refining the nasal tip. The size of the nasal tip and how it relates to the rest of the face, specifically the bridge of the nose, forehead, and cheekbones, determines how aesthetically-pleasing the end result is. This may involve cartilage grafts from the patient or a donor. In addition, implants may be used to add structure to the nose.
What should I expect from surgery?
Asian patients interested in rhinoplasty should be in good health and have a desire to improve the appearance or functionality of their nose. Typically, patients take ten days off from work to recover from the procedure, and results can be seen within 12 weeks’ post-surgery, with full results in place after a year.
Choosing the best doctor
Choosing the best plastic surgeon for ethnic rhinoplasty is an important decision. It’s important to consider the following factors:
• Board-certification: A board certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery is proof your doctor has gone through extensive training and education and has been approved by the Board to perform these operations.
• Portfolio of work: Find a plastic surgeon who specializes in Asian rhinoplasty procedures and ask to see examples of their work in their before & after gallery.
• Compassion & understanding: It’s important to find a plastic surgeon who makes you feel comfortable and understands your concerns. Undergoing surgery is a big decision and you should feel comfortable addressing any concerns with your doctor.
At Correa Plastic Surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bryan J. Correa specializes in rhinoplasty, including Asian rhinoplasty procedures. For more information about ethnic rhinoplasty, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Correa, please contact us today at 281-419-9119.